Homeowners Insurance and Renters Insurance

Insurance coverage is for the "what ifs" in life.  What if there is a fire, water damage, theft, etc.  When buying a home -- condominium, townhouse or single family - your contract to purchase requires that you promptly apply for insurance.  The most important reason is that some homes have a stigma of sorts because of recent insurance claims, presumably by the seller.  You could find that the "CLUE Report" causes your insurer to not offer insurance or at a substantially higher than normal rate.

Renters -- Your lease likely requires (definitely will if it is a NVAR lease), that you buy renters insurance and provide proof to your new landlord.  If you don't, the landlord can and then charge you for the premium.  But the insurance has many important benefits to you if a "what if" occurs.  Remember, the landlord's homeowner's insurance does not cover your personal possessions, housing if you need to move out because of the event, or if your laptop is stolen from your car (and your car insurance likely does not cover that even event).

With this interview with Katy Norell at Weichert Insurance, I want to introduce you, but you have no obligation to call on her or to buy insurance through her.  But why not ask her to shop around for you and share her